Minor errors of a less serious nature, are for example, the misspelling of a person’s name or an incorrect property description in the deed of transfer. They can be rectified with an application to the Deeds Office. These applications must be made by the owner of the property or the conveyancer authorised by a power of attorney.

Major errors are mistakes linked to the transfer of ownership and related dealings like the registration or cancellation of bonds. If this happens, a rectification transfer is required that must clearly state how the incorrect transfer occurred and how the error will be rectified. So who bears the cost of these errors? The rule of thumb is that the negligent party – the party making the error – assumes responsibility for the cost of rectification.

Contact us today.

031 303 2476 | www.nmalaw.co.za